Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Road Trippin!

So, I thought no one was reading the BSB blog until three people asked me why I hadn’t been updating it. Three readers in one week – I’m flabbergasted! I thought I’d give it an acronym on account of how incredibly popular it has become now that three of you read it. The “BSB blog.” Yah, I can dig it.

I even received a comment from someone I don't even know about how I ramble. That rocks! I'm a ramblin' (wo)man! Thanks, Euthymic!

By the way, I know few people who know what euthymic means and I just LOVE that she named her blog that!

It has been an eventful period. We drove to Sacramento and Idaho and then returned via Reno, only because the brain surgeon’s dad gave us a coupon for a resort there, but it turned out to be surprisingly fun for the kids. I’m not sure if we have a knack for road trips, but we did quite well with our three little ones in the MV. The trip made me appreciate my family AND my MV, which I still say is the best in its class. No, I don’t work for Toyota.

First, we briefly (and I mean BRIEFLY) visited my gorgeous cousin and her new baby in the postpartum neurotic phase at a stifling 110-degree park in Sacramento. No one came within 10 feet of that baby and we stayed at the park (plenty of germ-free air circulating so the baby wouldn’t catch the plague) – so very obviously NOT invited to bring our three little germlettes to her abode. I’m looking forward to laughing about the whole thing with my lovely cousin, who is one of my favorite people in the whole world, once her hormones get back to normal.

Then we went to Idaho, which we were both dreading, but which ended up being a perfect fun-filled time with waterskiing, inner tubing, horseback riding, ranch-handing and general fun stuff. The only little downfall was a forced trip to some ghastly hunting store to buy red suspenders for my father-in-law’s Father’s Day gift. No, I didn’t think of that myself. Who wears these?

I used to ask, “Who buys these?” too, but now I know the answer – me!

The place was like a cemetery with open wall graves displaying dead animals. Yuck. I agreed to the purchase in my attempt to be Zen and let things go, but I still haven’t let it go.

Yes, Eckhart, just flap my duck wings, I know.

On the way back, we hit Reno. The resort happened to have all sorts of fun things to do. My children won 800 tickets with just $20 dollars of tokens in their family fun center. I’ve never seen so many tickets. My eldest cried when we left, because “there is no place like this by our house!” I said, actually there is and it’s called Chuck-E-Cheese, and that it’s skeezy, but we could go (Please God, I hope they sell salad). The kids also enjoyed a round of aqua-golf and a few rounds of bowling (are they called rounds?) with their dad while I went to a $3.00 movie by myself. I saw BabyMama, which had amusing moments, but was rather predictable. I got excited when they mentioned the perils of HFCS and how unhealthy it is, which proves what a loser I am. We swam (they had very cool cabanas that I didn't get to enjoy). We ate. We had general fun.

Oh, and some guy in the Starbucks came up to me and said I look like Alanis Morissette while I was writing the Wednesday drug news. He said it was my eyes. I've had a lot of you-look-likes, but that one was just bizarre. By the way, if you're a Starbucks fan (the brain surgeon is, but I'm partial to the Coffee Bean, which is clearly superior), they just announched they're shutting 600 U.S. stores. Is this the beginning of the death of the coffee boom era or just another sign of our crashing economy?

Now we’re back in the daily grind and the brain surgeon is back to slicing heads open in the giant red-tape bureaucracy that he calls work. I just finished writing the Wednesday drug news again and I’m off to finish some editing before enjoying a little R&R with my babies.

Toodles!

No comments:

Click THIS BANNER for my Freelance Portfolio