Wednesday, July 30, 2008

My Friends are Hoo Hoos -- and I'm Totally Not Lion

Okay, here’s a video my friend Tom made.



I had to share this because I think it is just freaking funny and that Tom might be insane. I realize it might only be funny because I know him. Tom is an example of the types of hoo hoos I seem to bond with in general. I hate to say this if you are one of my friends – or one of my almost-friends – because that makes you a hoo hoo, too. I tend to meet arrogant hoo hoos…the types who are hoo hoos but have no clue about their overall hooeyness.

Oh, and for a definition, my “almost-friends” are those people I might have been true friends with pre-kids, when I had time to have coffee, drinks or dinner with random people and nurture those for-no-reason-other-than-the-fact-that-I-think-you’re-cool relationships. Now, I tend to just hang out with other people who have kids. If you have children, you get this. Also, the people I hang out with typically have young kids. If you have or ever had young kids, you also get this.

Navigating these friendships is trickier than a one-on-one friendship, however, because the kids and the adults all have to get along, or else it just doesn’t work.

And when it comes to getting along, you better either have similar parenting ideas or a belief that other people’s parenting ideas are their own, because getting judgmental on the parenting front is just asking for trouble.

And these mommy cliques…well they can be vicious. We’re talking meow…hiss…scratch.

This weekend I’ll be blogging from the California Homeschool Network 2008 Family Expo. I know. I know. I keep talking about it, but I’m just so excited. I dig this homeschooling thing, because I like that alternative buzz it gives me. I get to be controversial without dying my hair pink or sharing TMI…or rather, TMsI (the s is for “sex”). Tra la la.

I’m planning to keep up my gratitude journal. Have you started yours? If not, you should.

Here’s my how to on the gratitude journal:

  1. Get a notebook, a piece of paper, a computer or whatever else you can put your thoughts to physically.

  2. Write down at least five things you are grateful for every day.

  3. Read over it occasionally.

Step 3 is optional, but I find it to be an additional source of inspiration if I’m feeling negative. Okay, yes, I’ve only been doing this for a few days, but I’m a believer that this will change my attitude entirely. It already has changed my mood.

If you do this, I’d love for you to share your entries. Write me or paste them into the comments section (I have no idea how to show the comments yet, but I’m working on it).

Here are my five gratitude entries for the day:

  1. I’m grateful for my newest writing/editing gig at FiercePharma, because the people there seem really nice, even though we’ve only spoken via phone and Internet.

  2. I’m grateful that I’m no longer in the world of academic medicine and that I provide truly comprehensive care to the people who matter the most to me in the world – my children.

  3. I’m grateful for the option to homeschool our children.

  4. I’m grateful for Earth Café, who makes the best raw vegan cheesecake on the planet.

  5. I’m grateful for birth control and reproductive freedom.

Okay, now is this video for real…




or are these people lion?

I’m now laughing hysterically at my own stupid joke.

Toodles!

No comments:

Click THIS BANNER for my Freelance Portfolio