Thursday, July 10, 2008

An Abundant Life: Hectic and Exhausting, but Joyful!

Okay, first, this is funny. On June 25th I called my sister SO EXCITED because I was sure I had just seen Britney Spears on Melrose. Paparazzi surrounded her. She was posing and smiling for the camera. I was a few car lengths back so I could only see her from behind at first, but when I got up close, she walked around the front of her white Mercedes (just like Britney has) and opened the door right in front of my bumper. I wasn’t looking at her at that point though…I was more interested in avoiding running over the stupid paparazzi who walked right in front of my car.

Anyway, I’m all excited, telling my sister about how Britney looks so tiny and how her hair is dark and my sister is like, um, have you seen TMZ lately? I was like, TM what? Like I have time for that stuff. So she tells me Britney isn’t particularly tiny this week and she also isn’t brunette.

So, we Google “June 25 Melrose shopping” and variations thereof and find out its some reality star (Audrina Partridge) that neither of us had even heard of from The Hills. I have heard of The Hills, of course, just not this particular reality startlette (yes, I think I invented that word). Anyway, the point of this whole story is the following picture, in which you can see the front end of my minivan about two car lengths back, rear left. See it? If not, just squint a little.

My car is now an extra in a bad paparazzi photo. Isn’t fame fabulous?




Really exciting, I know. Audrina was apparently picking up her laundry. Even more exciting is this: If you don’t know who she is and you Google her to find out, like we did, you will certainly find nude pictures of Audrina Partridge (no link from me, boys! Do your own dirty work), as she isn’t a particularly modest one, it seems.


Back to me, since it’s all about me.

Really, my schedule is crazy. This is my own fault and I know it, but it is what it is. I’m still listening to A New Earth, which takes a long time when you do it in 5-minute increments. Next, I will tackle The Power of Now again (wouldn’t that be funny if Eckhart’s next book is, “The Power of Now and Again.” Like, “now and again, I feel like smacking someone.”

But seriously, I’m really enjoying A New Earth. Between FlyLady, Eckhart Tolle and Anthony Robbins, I should be ship-shape in no time!

My brother and niece are flying in from Tahiti in the morning. We are all very excited. In fact, they are on the plane right now.

So, here’s the schedule for just tomorrow:

My oldest will go to summer camp in the morning, but my sister in law will drive her since she works right next to the camp. Whew. I’ll get my 1-year-old and 3-year-old ready and then the babysitter will come. I don’t actually need her tomorrow since my brother will be her, but she relies on the paycheck and so that’s a bit of a conundrum. Anyway, I need to be in international baggage claim at 9:15 and so me and whoever wants to go with me (kids and babysitter or one kid or whatever) will go and pick up the famdamily. Then we will RUSH back to hop in the pool at 10:15 for baby swim class, which lasts 45 minutes. Then we will FLY out of the pool, into the car, and be in the camp carpool line by 11:30 a.m. to get my oldest. Then we are golden and can let my poor, jetlagged brother and niece relax.

I’ll check email here and there, but really won’t work much until tomorrow night.

Yesterday and today were equally crazy. I won’t even bother with most of yesterday, but of course, last night I was up working on a manuscript for Health Affairs (I say that as if they’ve accepted it, but they haven’t, although here is one just published…with a little help from a ghostwriter – me!). Then I had to take a break and work on the Wednesday morning news for FiercePharma (Hi guys!).

Then I got back to the Health Affairs manuscript. I decided I would finish referencing it and spruce up the graphs before I went to bed or I’d die trying. I think I died trying. I was so tired, I just crashed. Plus, I had to get up and finish the news this morning, bright and early. Then I had to get my little ones ready, shower myself (or P.U.), semi-dry my hair and then hit the L.A. 9:00 a.m. traffic hell to get to a meeting at Carat in Santa Monica. Oh, and I had to take the dog down the stairs to pee.

By the way, plug for a great new company and product I’ve been working with: Simplicity. This company is small, but the people are really great, really ethical and really excited about – okay, I’m just gonna say it – laundry and dish soap. But really, they have the only products that are non-toxic out there. Other products have no “known” toxins, but that’s just because our government always sides with business and businesses just have to pretend they don’t “know” and then they put a bunch of toxic crap into your cleaning supplies.

And if you want to know what they put in, good luck! They won’t tell you. Nope. It’s all a big mystery. That’s what I like about Simplicity. They’re telling people what is in their products. They’re all about transparency and honesty. I trust them.

The only WEE drawback is they have an exclusive with Wal-Mart now. There are some funny and interesting things I could go into here, but we’ll have to see which way the wind takes us first.

Oh Lord, where was I? Oh, so I was late to get my oldest at summer camp, but luckily, it is on the same campus where the brain surgeon and his sister work, so my sister-in-law picked up my oldest during her lunch hour. Then I picked her up at 1:30 and then headed home, grabbed the younger two and let the dog pee again, and then ran all three to the park where the older two have a different camp program. Luckily, the dual camp insanity is only three weeks long. In between all this, I’m doing hand edits on three papers I’ve got going and handling calls on my speaker phone (new hands free law!) on mute and hope and pray I can make salient comments on my conference calls without everyone hearing, “Mooooooooooooom! He hit me!!!”

I bring the baby home and get her settled and get a few more hours of work done before heading back to the park. Dog pees first, of course. And then, you know the drill…three little dinners, three little baths, about a million stories and then bedtime.

Anyway, I’m not even caught up on work yet, but I just needed to empty my brain before doing any more and this is the result.

Toodles!

No comments:

Click THIS BANNER for my Freelance Portfolio