Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Sophomore English

Okay, this is going to sound really bitchy at first (or maybe throughout), but at class the other night, five of us were standing around bonding, joking, perhaps being a little catty (actually, doggy and catty, as three of “us” were men) when I realized that high school just repeats itself and we were forming our clique.

Now, of course, it is because the week before, we had actually gone back to high school. It was Caesar Chavez day and our normal room was closed, so we went to Fairfax High School, which was much more depressing a place than my high school ever was.

Anyway, we all sat there in our high school desks. Several people I spoke to admitted it made them feel rebellious just sitting there. Everyone was less engaged, sighed more and seemed genuinely bored.

Of course, it might have more than just the setting that caused the boredom, but anyhoo…

I definitely have already figured out with whom I’d choose to break bread – or in reality share nachos with – because if I’m gonna break code and eat something processed, it may as well be a gastronomical joy.

I’m just going to say it. Some of these people are really quirky. I’m quirky. I know this. But I’m quirky in a nondescript, mainstream kind of way. I’m pretty vanilla.

But SOME OF THESE PEOPLE. Well, a lot of them are actors and we all know how actors are. At those of us in Los Angeles do.

See? There you go already forming opinions about my opinions before you even know what I’m going to say.

I love actors. Some of my best friends and favorite family members dabble in the sport. Actors are the people who will go out on a limb in my writing class. I love this.

In my class, we have:

• People who can write, but cannot act. They read well, but they don’t get all into it.

• People who write well and read well, adding an appropriate level of oomph.

• People who write not-so-well, but read and act so well, you start to think, "maybe this guy's writing is not so bad after all."

But then, there are my absolute favorites:

• People who cannot write to save their lives and cannot act either, but read as if they are putting on an academy award-winning performance of the best screenplay ever written.

And then there’s this guy, who wears a shirt advertising his public assess TV show each week and seems a bit too peppy.

I honestly don’t know why I haven’t wet myself a few times. So damned funny.

Toodles.

No comments:

Click THIS BANNER for my Freelance Portfolio