Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Bit About Breakfast

My next giant goal in life is to write what we eat each day. People are always asking me what I feed the kids or, when they see them eating, how I get them to eat so many fruits and vegetables. That is a long story and a journey in itself (I’ll get to it), but for now, I’ll just start with breakfast.  It's pretty easy.

For breakfast, we often have fruit smoothies. I made a mix of whatever sounds good to them. They will each contribute or sometimes one will be in charge. We keep several bags of frozen organic fruit in the freezer at all times.  I throw a bunch of fruit in the blender, and then some greens. 

When it comes to adding greens, start very slowly. I started by adding just one kale or romaine leaf, or a small handful of spinach. Each time I made a smoothie, I added another leaf. The kids (or your taste buds if it’s for you) will tell you when enough is enough, but I also found that our tolerance for greens went up quickly. Oh look! Here’s an article I wrote on how to use vegetables in smoothies

We use a VitaMix. These suckers are expensive, but worth every penny. Before my parents and siblings bought me one, I used the Magic Bullet (also bought by my family...Who finds these things?) to make smaller ones in batches.  It was not as good, but it was okay. There are other good blenders out there as well, but an awesome blender is the key to blending greens smoothly into your smoothie (say it 10 times fast).

Sometimes the kids want what I call the “beige” foods. These are the not-as-healthy-but-okay grain foods. On those days, we’ll have a grain food (more on that later, but steel-cut oats, granola, etc.) plus I make giant “rainbow” plates of fruit. 

On some days, we just eat fruit.  We also make parfaits by layering fruit and granola. The kids like when I use a nondairy yogurt, too, but I often skip that layer.  I'm not so into most nondairy dairy-like things.

TIP:  If fruit is getting too ripe, do not let it go bad! Just cut it up and freeze it. Ripe fruit is sweeter and great for smoothies!

Toodles!

No comments:

Click THIS BANNER for my Freelance Portfolio